The Sisters of Charity, a Catholic order of religious sisters, have been providing care to those in need since their arrival to Australia from Ireland in 1838 where they provided services to female convicts at the women’s prison in Parramatta, Sydney. In 1893, St Vincent’s Hospital was founded in Fitzroy. Caritas Christi Hospice Kew was opened in 1938 and since 2001, St. Vincent’s Hospital has been responsible for St. George’s Health Service in Kew. These 3 healthcare facilities form St. Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne.
St Vincent’s Health Australia (SVHA) is now a national organisation with healthcare services extending across Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland. As the largest not-for-profit healthcare organisation in Australia, SVHA continues to grow and meet the needs of the community across 36 facilities nationally, including public and private hospitals, innovative primary and home based care, residential aged care, mental health services, palliative care, drug and alcohol services, research institutes and correctional health services. As for all SVHA facilities, the Mission of St. Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne places a special emphasis on the poor and disadvantaged, underpinned by the Values of Justice, Integrity, Compassion and Excellence.