Request donations to EPC in lieu of flowers at a funeral or memorial service
Consider arranging an ‘in lieu of flowers’ funeral or memorial giving. Your funeral director will be able to guide you through this process, but here are our suggested steps.
- Let your funeral director know that you would like to arrange donations to EPC in lieu of flowers. They will then contact us if they need more donation envelopes.
- Include this in the funeral notice and include EPC’s website address (www.epc.asn.au) in it. This takes the pressure off guests at the funeral or memorial to remember to take a donation envelope as they can simply do it online. This also provides a way for people to express their condolences, without inundating the family with flowers.
- Place the request in the service booklet. Suggested text might be:
The family asks you to consider making a donation to Eastern Palliative Care (EPC) in lieu of flowers in honour of XX. You can collect a reply paid donation envelope from (XXX Church) and insert it into the box (where located) or post it to EPC. You can also donate online www.epc.asn.au – just click the heart on the home page. Please acknowledge “the person’s name” as the reason for your donation as EPC will inform the family of those who made donations in a few weeks’ time. Thank you for your donation.
- If appropriate, remind guests during the service. Some guests don’t see the donation envelopes on the way in and a reminder they are there and how to return them is helpful. Ideally they should be completed and collected on the day of the service so it’s important to remind guests to put the envelope in the box before they leave. Explaining that donations can be made on our website can also be done during the service.
- We ask that all donation envelopes are delivered by hand to our office in Mitcham unopened. We will send a receipt and thank you letter to each donor for the amount they have gifted.
- Around a month after the service we will send the primary care giver a letter informing them of how many people donated and the final amount. We will not state the individual amounts received. We provide the total combined figure from payments made via our website and via donation envelopes.
- We will also thank you in the EPC newsletter.
If you’d like to discuss this further please contact: email@example.com or phone 1300 130 813.